I’ve committed to reading only books by female authors in 2014. Below is a list of the books I’ve finished or am reading at the moment, in some cases with links to mini-reviews.
- A Tale for the Time Being: A Novel by Ruth Ozeki
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (mini-review of 1 & 2)
- Doc: A Novel by Mary Doria Russell
- Geek Love: A Novel by Katherine Dunn (I couldn’t finish this one, I’m coming back to it later, we’ll call it 4 and 1/2 for the moment. It was too much like Swamplandia!, which I hated. I know hate is a strong word, but really, it was not good.)
- Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel. Loving this right now.
- The Faraway Nearby by Rebecca Solnit. Entranced by the first few pages.
- Autobiography of Red by Anne Carson. Just go read it. Go read it now.
- Gone Girl: A Novel by Gillian Flynn. Somehow bizarre and blase at the same time. Very carefully written (and pretty screwed up).
- The Flamethrowers: A Novel by Rachel Kushner. Some mixed feelings, and feeling a little overidentified with the main character, but overall, I really liked it.
- A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
- Orphan Train: A Novel by Christina Baker Kline. a quick, enjoyable read. Wraps up a little too neatly and quickly, but if you have two hours to spare, a good way to spend it. Also, this one moved up from the to-read list!
- Lives of Girls and Women: A Novel by Alice Munro. Heartbreakingly beautiful and relatable. Any woman I know would find some part of her in this book.
- Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
- The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon.
- The Gin Closet: A Novel by Leslie Jamison.
My To-read list (ideally, things move from down here to up there, but really this list just keeps getting longer.)
- October: A Novel Zoë Wicomb
- The Round House: A Novel by Louise Erdich
- The Transit of Venus by Shirley Hazzard
- Heart Songs and Other Stories by Annie Proulx
- We Need to Talk About Kevin tie-in: A Novel by Lionel Shriver
- The Last Samurai by Helen deWitt
- The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North
- Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan
- The Goldfinch: A Novel (Pulitzer Prize for Fiction) by Donna Tartt
Last Update: April 29, 2014
One thought on “Read Women 2014”